Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Stuff, Stuff, and more Stuff



This is it, most of our stuff all crammed into a few rooms in our home in order to make space for our renters. What a humbling experience to see it all stacked up like this. My suitcase holds the basics I will need for clothing for the next eleven months, and we are shipping a few boxes with winter jackets and boots, sleeping bags, and some personal items. So, I ask myself, what is the point of all the rest of this? Why do I hang on to so many "things?" If I'm honest, I will confess that the times when I am able to clear out and part with some of my stuff, I feel incredibly relieved. Literally, a weight has been lifted from my life! So, why don't I do that more often, and do a deeper cleaning out of the stuff in my life? Probably for a variety of reasons: time and energy, too much sentimental attachment, unrealistic expectations that I will "use" things in the future (my own crafty inclinations often get the in way here--"gee, I could make x, y, or z with this!"). 

Once again, I find myself resolving to do better. Not all of this stuff will find a place in this house when we get back again! It's time to set it free, get it out there and let someone else discover it to be just the thing they were looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment